PTA Meeting Minutes — October 5, 2015

Wanaque School
PTA Meeting
Technology Room
October 5, 2015

Meeting called to order at 7:00pm.

Leane: Welcome everyone.  Glad everyone could come tonight.  Please take a moment to review the minutes and when you are ready; I need a motion to approve:
    Motion: Ann P.
    2nd:  Chris S.
With no opposition the minutes are approved as submitted.

Ms. Cardiello:  Hard to believe we are already into the school year a whole month. We will hold our first Coffee and Conversation this week in room 44 at 9am at the Haskell School. Please come and bring your questions. We are going to rotate between morning and evening to see if we can reach more people for these. On 10/19 there will be an important Social Media presentation in the Wanaque Gym starting at 7pm, please try and attend, there is a lot of information and things parents need to know.

Leane: Mr. Frick

Mr. Frick:    Good evening, great to see everyone here tonight. We are going to have a Week of Respect coming up, please look for the information on the week coming home soon.
There will be no school on 10/12 for Columbus Day
We will be hosting an anti-bullying assembly on 10/15
The 8th graders will also be fundraising with Yankee Candles for their trip, please support them
School pictures are 10/19
Board of Ed meeting 10/20
The week of 10/19 is School Violence week and we will have a “sticks and stones” assembly on 10/23
Finally we will have the Halloween sing along on Friday 10/30 at 12 and dismissal at 1:16.

Mr. Sarullo: Please remember to send your kids in with the proper outerwear – it is getting cold out there and I have seen kids in t-shirts and shorts even this week, it is time for jackets. Thanks

Leane: Thank you to all the teachers who came out tonight as well, if any of you would like to speak just let us know!
Ms. McGinley: Math-a-thon is back, permission slips will come home 10/8 you can choose the funbook or to do it online. To date we have raised over $100,000 for St. Jude’s

Mrs. Mauro – October is anti-bullying month we will be doing a “Fill Your Bucket” activity for random acts of kindness. We will recognize all students who have filled their bucket with the nice things they have done.

BOE: Candidates
For the next 40 minutes we heard from each of the BOE candidates as well as current BOE President Rob Barnhardt and Angela DeMetriou who is the interim member voted in over the summer:
  Jason Velante
  R. Dale Spear, Jr.
Floor was open for questions for candidates

Officer Reports:

President: Leane Trunk or Treat will be October 24 at Back Beach from 6:30-8:30. We will need volunteers for crowd control and to help move the age groups along. Any help would be appreciated.  Forms for cars will be coming home soon

1st VP – Elise: Nothing to report

2nd VP - Jen: Please remember there are refreshments in the back, please help yourself. We have some thank you notes from the 3rd grade and Ms. Pantano, thank you for the scholastic gift cards to start off the year.

Treasurer - Sharon: Need to vote in the budget for this school year:
   Motion: Ann P.
   2nd:  Chris S.
With no opposition the budget is approved and voted in for the school year

Corresponding Secretary - Tracy: Nothing to report

Recording Secretary - Yvette: Nothing to report

Standing Committee Reports

Drama – 4th – 8th: Lisa S. - Show will be 4/29 and 4/30. Details on the show are forthcoming. Auditions should be before the holiday break. We are going to take 3 days for auditions so we can do it by grade 4th-8th. Erica has agreed to direct.

Class Mom Coordinator: Victoria – Class moms were chosen and notified.

Kid Stuff: Lori S – This program raised $1750, still waiting to get the kindergarten payments and/or returned books – if you know a kindergartner who has not either paid or return, please remind them

Cultural Arts – Open committee:  Still open, first assembly will be the anti-bullying assembly, hope to have at least 2 more this year.

Fundraising Committee:    We have some great ideas for fundraisers coming up, stay tuned. Gertrude Hawke orders are due and you can order online as well

Thanksgiving Baskets – Ann P.:  Flyers will be coming by grade for collection of needed items; they will need to be in by 11/23. We will be enlisting 6-8th graders for community service hours to help put the baskets together.

Holiday Shop: Date set for December 4 for the kids and there will also be an opportunity for them to shop at the bazaar

Holiday Bazaar: Kristin K. Date is set for December 5 from 10-3.  30 tables are already sold, 20 additional vendors are pending. Tables go for $35 per table and we can fit more so spread the word! The Holiday Shop will be there for the kids, the Book Fair will be there too. We need help with set up and clean up as well as the craft table – another opportunity for community service hours. If you would like to help, please sign up.

Box Tops - Iman: All submissions need to be in by 10/16, we are submitting on 11/2. Labels for Education are due in December.

Bingo: 1st Bingo is 11/13 7-8:30 for K-5 then there will be one in February and another in April.

8th grade committee Chris, Lori, Michelle:  Parent meeting was great. Committees are filling up. There will be a meeting with Haskell to work on dance decisions. Il Palazzo is booked for the event.

Reading Program:  Another open committee, Mrs. Remington is terrific and does most of the work, just needs someone to work with.

School Pictures: Judy & Patty: 1st Fall pictures will be 10/19, we could use some help that day for crowd control and helping the photographer. 8th grade pictures will be taken 11/23 and that will be the date for retakes as well. Spring pictures will be May 17 and will include siblings. Packets going home soon.

Tricky Tray - Patty: We Starting to get things going – still need lots of volunteers

Clothing Drive: Scheduled for 10/10. You can drop bags of clothes here from 10-3; all proceeds will go to Big Brothers. This is a great opportunity for the 6-8th graders and anyone who has high school aged kids to collect some community service hours. Ms. Weaver moderates that requirement for our school; you can speak to her about opportunities as well. They will take all sorts of things from kitchen items to stuffed animals. We are paid by the pound.

Q: Will receipts be given?
A: Yes, there will be pre-printed receipts there for anyone who wants one

Halloween Dance – Kate K.: 10/16 from 7-9pm

School Apparel: Gina–    doing a great job with new items and styles. There is a huge variety to choose from. We will have a table at the picnic, bazaar and back to school night, order forms will also go home in backpacks next week. If orders are in by 10/5 they will arrive before Thanksgiving

Trunk or Treat:  See above

Spring Egg Hunt: No News

Old Business:  Town Picnic: Thank you to all our dunk-ees as well as all the volunteers
Mum Sale: We made about $600, we will continue to do this, and the flowers are really beautiful

New Business:   This is a challenging year for us as we need to raise funds, but we have lots of great ideas. Any ideas you may have, please share them, we are open to everything. We are looking into family movie nights, a Jump On In activity and other fun things – we will need help with everything!
Ann P. has chocolate bars for anyone interested they are $1 each.

Motion to adjourn until November 9, 2015
   Motion: Jill N.
   2nd: Angela D.
Meeting adjourned until November 9, 2015, 7pm

# # #
Respectfully submitted October 21, 2015